Following the collapse of a building under construction at Gwarinpa, Abuja, last week, the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners, NITP, has set up a 3-member investigation committee to investigate the remote and immediate causes of the unfortunate incident.
Set up at the instance of the National President of NITP, Tpl. Nathaniel M. Atebije, the committee has its terms of reference as follows:
- To identify the title to the plot including the authority that allocated it:
- To study and ascertain compliance of the development with the designated land use of the said plot;
3 To examine the plan approval process, relevant and appropriate documentation (including personnel involved in it and compliance with extant standards as established by the FCT Development Control Standards and regulations);
- To assess the level of compliance with construction procedures of FCT Standards and the National Building Code;
- To investigate the number of people who were involved in the disaster including the number of survivors and deaths;
- To investigate other matters related to the building collapse;
- To make recommendations for avoiding/mitigating such disasters in the future.
In a statement released on Sunday, the Institute revealed that while the committee is under the chairmanship of Tpl. Dr. Emmanuel Agbator, other members of the committee are Tpl (Mrs.) Lami Ayuba, who is the Chairman of FCT chapter of NITP and Tpl Kingsley Kanu. It was further stated the committee has seven days to submit its reportn to the national headquarters of the NITP.