Two persons have reportedly been arrested on Tuesday, at the scene of demolition that is ongoing in the Oworonshoki area of Lagos.
One of the arrested persons, Ogunlami Opeyemi, shared a video of himself alongside another man in a vehicle of the Lagos State Task Force.
“We were arrested in connection to the incident going on at Oworonshoki. We are at Oshodi Oke at the moment,” Ogunlami said in a Facebook live video posted Tuesday morning.
A source in the area identified simply as Jharmo, said the two men were arrested while addressing the people, majorly victims of the demolition, who gathered at the scene.
“They continued the demolition today. He (Ogunlami) was only there to address people and they (the task force officials) challenged his presence. When others ran, he stood and they wondered why he didn’t run, so they picked him up,” Jharmo told The PUNCH in a telephone conversation.
The presidential candidate of the African Action Congress in the 2023 elections, Omoyele Sowore, demanded the release of Ogunlami.
Sowore said the task force officials arrested Ogunlami for “questioning illegal demolition of houses in Oworonshoki.” The task force team lead did not take him to proper @PoliceNG station but kept him in a mobile detention vehicle and began driving him all over Lagos since his arrest. We demand his immediate release,” he stated in a post on X via @yeleSowore on Tuesday.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, said he did not have details of the incident at the moment.
He said, “When they are done with the demolition and return, I will get an update. I don’t have one for now.”
The PUNCH reports that residents including children and women were rendered homeless following the demolition that began last week Monday in the area by the state task force.
It was learned that streets such as Oke-Eri, Oluwaseyi, Community, Cornerstone, Ogo-Oluwa and others, housing several buildings, were affected by the demolition.