Agu Versace, a shop owner at Mandilas, has explained how the Mandilas fire that consumed over N10 billion worth of goods started yesterday.
Agu expressed dismay over the fire that engulfed many shops on the premises. He said goods valued at 10 billion naira were destroyed. He added that his brother’s inventory alone was worth 2.5 billion naira.
In an interview with our source, Agu attributed the blaze to the construction activities of the landlord of the 15-storey building. He claimed to have received no prior notice about construction.
According to Agu, “My boys informed me last Saturday that workers were increasing the building’s height.
“We were not informed by the landlord or any Lagos agencies. My boys were asked to disconnect the ACs and electrical appliances for the construction work without proper notice.
“After a heated argument, my instructions were to disconnect.
“So, while the local welders were working, sparks were dropping and creating fires. When one started, my boys drew their attention to it. The workers ignored them.
“Thankfully, one of my boys noticed it and managed to extinguish it. Others happened, and my boys drew their attention to it. But they still ignored them.
“It was when the one that turned into this inferno started that the workers were now trying to put it out. But it had spread. And then they all disappeared.
“There was no formal communication from the landlord about the construction. Even as we speak, no communication. My goods worth billions were lost.”
Currently, those affected are reluctant to speak with the press due to their distress. Many were upset because they couldn’t salvage any goods before the fire spread.
Agu further urged the Lagos state government to enhance the fire service. He emphasised that a more prompt response could have prevented extensive damage to the buildings by the Mandilas fire.
Source: Vanguard Newspapers