The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike has vowed to pull down all abandoned buildings in Abuja, saying such structures “are now hideouts for criminals.”
Wike stated this Wednesday when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Appropriations to defend the N100 billion provided for the Federal Capital Territory in the N2.17 trillion 2023 supplementary budget.
He said, “We will bring down all abandoned buildings in the FCT. We will also take over all those buildings because we have discovered that they are hideouts for criminals.
“When people commit crime, they will come and hide inside them. I have confidence that things would turn around.”
He, however, said the security situation would continue to improve day by day, pointing out that the issue of one chance would be a thing of the past when the metro buses begin operation.
The Minister of Housing, Ahmed Dangiwa also defended the N100 billion budgeted for his ministry, saying the fund “will be spent on the construction of Housing Estates across the country.”
He explained that the federal government would construct 1,000 housing estates in each state of the federation, adding that all state governors had been contacted to provide 50 hectares of land for the construction of the estates. He said another 2,000 Housing Estates “will be built in the urban areas in each geo-political zone. “We will use N50 billion to kick start the construction of the housing estates in the federation. The remaining N50 billion will be used to develop slums in different parts of the country.”