The Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Mr. Christopher Nehikhare, on Friday, said the government was committed to ridding the state of land grabbers.
Nehikhare, who disclosed this to newsmen in Benin City, also said 202 victims’ data had been collated.
He assured victims that the state was resolute in tackling the ugly menace, while pledging to protect their property rights.
He said: “Persons who have been defrauded by criminal elements at the New Town Development area, along Irhirhi-Obazagbon-Ogheghe Road, are enjoined to present complaints to the New Town Development Authority office at the site.
“So far, a total of 202 persons have come up and their data have been documented.
“One Mr. Sunday Oghumah, a suspected land grabber, has also been arrested.
“Victims need not fear any arrest, as only those with reasonable land grabbing accusations would be apprehended. Every other person would be treated as victims.
“We are working today (Saturday) to capture those who were not able to come for capture during the week.”
Nehikhare added that the order for cessation of all development/building activities in the area covered in the 1,229 hectares of land along the Irhiri-Obazagbon-Ogheghe Road was still being enforced.
“The surveyors have provided coordinates to enable the team commence repossession of Portion C in the area.
“Government restates its commitment to ending the menace of land grabbing so as to clean up the state for an effective and efficient land administration system to drive investment and development, “he said.
Meanwhile, speaking on the unbundling of the state-owned Nigerian Observer Newspaper, the said the government had concluded plans to return the newspaper to the newsstand.