By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Africa Housing NewsAfrica Housing News
Notification Show More
Aa
  • Home
  • News
  • Real Estate News
  • Nigeria Property News
  • Join Us
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Join Us
Reading: Builders Delay Cladding Removal During Coronavirus As Minister Says Works Are ‘Top Priority’
Share
Aa
Africa Housing NewsAfrica Housing News
  • Home
  • News
  • Real Estate News
  • Nigeria Property News
  • Join Us
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Real Estate News
  • Nigeria Property News
  • Join Us
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Join Us
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Africa Housing News > Blog > News > Builders Delay Cladding Removal During Coronavirus As Minister Says Works Are ‘Top Priority’
News

Builders Delay Cladding Removal During Coronavirus As Minister Says Works Are ‘Top Priority’

Fesadeb
Last updated: 2020/04/03 at 3:24 PM
Fesadeb Published April 3, 2020
Share
SHARE
Some builders have stopped removing dangerous cladding from buildings, as the government advises remedial works remain a top priority and should continue during the coronavirus lockdown.

 

Barratt Developments has blamed the Covid-19 outbreak for postponing works on a development in East London.

A resident in the Dalston Square development told Mortgage Solutions: “Every day that these urgent works are not carried out the safety of residents is put at risk – even more so with everyone now at home.

“Barratt has known about the issue since November 2018.

“Work can continue with social distancing, but they have now blamed the coronavirus for delays.”

The government has previously said construction work should continue amid the coronavirus lockdown where it is safe to do so.

And in an open letter regarding reforms to the building safety system, housing secretary Robert Jenrick today said: “The challenges presented by the spread of Covid-19 are severe.

“The government’s view is that the work to remove unsafe cladding from buildings is critical to public safety and so must remain a top priority.

“My department will do all it can to support building owners, managers and residents to ensure that remediation work continues where it is safe to do so.”

Concerns over fire alarm system

Barratt said a fire alarm system fitted within the Dalston Square development will keep residents safe while works are on hold.

However, people living in the development have reported problems with being able to hear the alarm on the residents’ facebook page.

The resident said: “Barratt says there is a fire alarm in place, but it has not been properly tested with everyone evacuated when I have been home.”

A spokesperson for Barratt Developments said: “Following the installation of an enhanced fire detection system, all necessary measures are in place at Dalston Square to ensure the safety of residents.

“Our priority during the global coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic is the health and safety of our workforce and we have taken the decision to temporarily close our construction sites and stop all non-essential works.

“We are committed to continuing work at Dalston Square as a matter of urgency as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Source: mortgagesolutions

You Might Also Like

Oba of Lagos at 82: Akiolu Calls for Integrity, Faith, and Lagos Special Status

Civil Society Groups Demand Probe Into Alleged FIRS Conflict of Interest

Tenant, Caretaker Trade Blows Over Unpaid Rent in Kwali

Lagos Launches Certified Accreditors Programme, Boosts VIS Professional Standards

AIHS Congratulates Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos at 82

Join Our Whatsapp Group

Contact Image

Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Housing TV Africa is the First Housing News Television
in Africa on Startimes Channel 149 bringing you
Housing News, Mortgage News, Construction News etc

Fesadeb April 3, 2020 April 3, 2020
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
4 Comments
  • canadian pharmaceuticals online says:
    August 3, 2025 at 10:04 pm

    Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Kudos

  • canada pharmaceuticals online generic says:
    September 15, 2025 at 3:49 pm

    It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

  • discount pharmacies says:
    September 18, 2025 at 1:10 pm

    I do accept as true with all the concepts you have introduced to your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for newbies. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

  • canadian pharmacy viagra generic says:
    October 18, 2025 at 5:17 pm

    Right now it seems like Drupal is the best blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Africa Housing News. All Rights Reserved 2024

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?